Thursday, March 18, 2010

Damon finishes 2nd in 2010 Cradle to Coast Multisport Race

Damon has just returned from an epic weekend in Tasmania competing in the famous Cradle to Coast Race. Starting at Cradle Mountain and finishing in Hobart, this is a tough 3 days through a beautiful part of the world. More information can be found at http://www.tasultra.org/cradle/cradle_index.htm

Damon's report continues....

This would have to be one of the most challenging in Australia, as well as one of the best. A 3 day stage race across Tasmania by foot, cycle and kayak. I'd done it previously in 2001 and had been meaning to go back for years.

13 of us headed off on the opening leg, a 62km trail run along the overland track from Cradle Mountain to Lake St Clair. We were carrying everything from full warm and wet weather gear to bivvy bag, first aid kit etc. Not long into the run I started suffering from severe leg cramps, similar to what I suffered last year which ended with me in hospital for 8 days as a result of kidney failure. I backed it off pretty quick and was forced to slow down to ensure the cramps didn't flare up too badly. It was a shame, as the track was in pretty good condition, nice and dry and good running, a little different to last year when we ran it in torrential rain. I made it to Narcissus Hut at Lake St Clair in about 6:45 and jumped straight on my ski for a 15km paddle across the lake to the end of day 1. With a slight tailwind and following swell to surf, I really enjoyed the paddle acrss Australia's deepest lake. I finished in 1st place in just under 8 hours, but my quads were suffering from the cramps earlier in the day.

The legs had nothing for the day 2 120km ride. I managed the first half ok, then died on the never ending hills to the transition at Meadowbank Dam. I had heaps of shotz gels on the bike though so felt confident I could have a good paddle. A short 4km jog to the Derwent River, where the water level was a bit higher than 2001 and we had a great run. Good weather and clear water made it a lot of fun and I really enjoyed this paddle also - except for a numb bumb. Mainly flat water, it was broken by a half dozen grade 2 rapids to keep it interesting. I had no problems, although I did leave some orange gel coat on a partly submerged rock to warn others. I was very hesitant at the railway bridge (last) rapid, where a crowd had gathered hoping for some carnage, and had a good look before heading down. Apparently GPS measured this at 49km, not the 45km we were told. I think my time for the day was 8:20.

I was in now in 2nd place due to my shocking cycle, about 90sec's back, at the start of day 3. I made a few minutes up on the first guy, Paul MacKenzie, in the first 16km paddle down the Derwent and headed off feeling good on the bike for a 60km cycle through the hills around Hobart. Trying to remember verbal directions (R-R-L-R was the most I can memorise) and reading basic notes I'd written on my arm on the largely unmarked course, I missed a turn-off not long after the start. I stupidly kept going even when I was thinking something was wrong. I ended up riding an extra 15km before I found my way back on course, but wasted a lot of time hesitating and looking around so don't know how much time I lost. A bunch of competitors had gone past me and I ran out of food on the last climb to come in ages behind. After a couple of quick shotz gels, I fired up for the final run up to the 1200m Mt Wellington summit and down to Hobart. I felt pretty good on the uphill but was worried about cramping on the downhill so took it easy until it levelled off for the final run into Salamanca Place . I finished pretty strong but was 50 minutes behind the winner overall, in 2nd place. My total time was over 23 hours, a touch slower than 10 years ago so figure I am now past whatever prime I had.

After about an hours rest, I jumped in the car for the 3 hour drive to Devonport to catch the overnight ferry to Melbourne, followed by a 10 hour drive home to Sydney, to be back at work the following day, absolutely rooted.

No comments: